It's Not Called Toddler Weight...


If your baby's first birthday has come and gone, but the weight hasn't - you've come to the right place.

Sunday, July 26, 2015

Recipe: A Summer Quiche

Hello! Yes, yes - been some time again since my last post. But I promise this post will surely make up for my lack of posting. Last weekend I was blessed and fortunate enough to go away with my friend to her family's home on Shelter Island in New York. It was the second year in a row I've been invited and it's just a rejuvenating and wonderful experience. The home is beautiful and just amazing to be there. Truly.

A view I captured from Sunset Beach on Shelter Island, NY
While we were there, my friend Tracy made us breakfast each morning and she came up with this amazing quiche that I replicated last week (minus a few ingredients). It's got a fresh take and an ingredient you just may not ever think to include in a quiche but I assure you it's deeeeelish!

And fortunately two ingredients now are in full swing this summer season and you can likely grab them at your local farm stand or farmers market: zucchini and tomatoes.

Yep. That's right zucchini and squash.

What?!?! you say?  Yes.  So did I. Until I tried it and it was the best tasting quiche I think I've ever had. So run to the market and grab some squash, zucchini and tomatoes and whip this up.  I promise you it does not disappoint.

Oh, and for my fellow THM-ers this recipe would be an S.

Ingredients
1-2 medium sized zucchini or summer squash chopped (last week I used both yellow and green squashes but this week I only had green)
1 medium tomato chopped 
1 or 1/2 large yellow onion chopped 
Fresh basil (if possible) chopped
Dried oregano to taste 
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon of butter or coconut oil
Non stick spray or butter for pan
5-6 large eggs 
1/2 cup of heavy cream or 1/2 and 1/2
1 cup of shredded cheese - I used a Mexican blend but mozzarella or any of your choosing will do

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a skillet place butter or coconut oil and heat onion and zucchini until softened. Add tomatoes half way through just to soften.
2. Add herbs, salt and pepper to veggies.
3. In a large mixing bowl scramble eggs and combine cream. Then, add shredded cheese.
4. Spray or coat round baking pan or dish with nonstick coat.
5. With a slotted spoon, transfer veggies to the large mixing bowl - the tomatoes and veggies can leave liquid which you do not want in quiche! Mix well.
6. Pour all ingredients into baking pan/dish and bake for about 30-40 minutes depending on your oven and baking dish.

Softening the veggies 

Add the tomatoes last to soften - drain with slotted spoon
All mixed up and ready to bake

Ready to cook!  I can't hardly wait to eat this

Ta-dahhh! Done.  Oh and I made my husband a ham and cheese quiche too :)
So, what do you think?  So easy and fresh and a fantastic way to get in some additional veggies.  You could add anything else to this also - bacon or any other veggies you have laying around. 

I hope you have a great Sunday!  Now, onto laundry and cleaning.  
~Carly

No comments:

Post a Comment