Enter my concoction of chili - full of whole foods rich with texture and flavor.
This is considered an E meal for those following the Trim Healthy Mama Plan.
1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 tablespoon of minced garlic
1 medium yellow onion roughly diced
1 package of ground turkey, chicken or (browned and rinsed) lean ground beef
1 can of black beans drained and rinsed
2-3 medium sweet potatoes pre-cooked and cut into cubes
1 box Pomi chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup quinoa (cooked separately)
1 can of diced chiles
2 tablespoons of chili seasoning
2 tablespoons of cumin
1 cup (or more for more or less liquid) of chicken or vegetable stock
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a larger stock pot add the olive oil to heat. Add garlic and simmer for a minute. Grab a second soup pot and begin to cook quinoa per the directions on the package. Then, in chili pot and onion and cook until softened.
2. Add ground meat of choice. Once browned add cumin and chili and stir well.
3. Add the tomatoes, diced chiles, broth and beans and stir to combine. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
4. Add cooked cubed sweet potatoes and quinoa. At this time you can also add more broth to increase liquid.
5. Simmer on low for as long as you'd like - I do another 15 minutes or so.
It's really delicious and hearty without being heavy. You can top it with a sprinkle of shredded cheese as added fat if you're following THM. If you aren't, feel free to add sliced avocado, sour cream or a side of tortilla chips - the choice is yours!
I shared this recipe with a few friends now and it's gotten great reviews!
Enjoy and as always comment if you decide to make it!