As you know, I'm a big fan of Pinterest and I found this delicious recipe that Real Simple pinned.
|Source: Real Simple|
Mmmmm! I cannot wait to make for dinner one night soon - possibly tonight!
It's loaded with some of my favorite foods right now - especially since I'm eating a Vegetarian style now in conjunction with my Cinch plan. (I'm sipping a Cinch Vanilla shake mix with bananas, peaches, strawberries, a splash of orange juice and ice and it's deeeee-lish!)
Quinoa, Sweet Potatoes and Kale are some serious power houses in the "super foods" categories.
Kale is packed with nutrition - possibly more so than meat - including iron, calcium, fiber and more.
Sweet Potatoes are rich in anti-oxidants and nutrients and are a fantastic "slow-burning" carb.
Quinoa is also chock full of nutrients, protein, vitamins and minerals. The garlic is delicious and has fantastic health benefits, olive oil is a wonderful fat and - yes - even the wine give this meal is beneficial.
All these together are amazing foods individually, but even better when combined. I also love Parmesan cheese. (Now I'm super hungry)
The end result is a flavorful, healthy meal that is just around 360 calories - less if you use extra virgin olive oil instead of the regular as listed below.
Quinoa With Mushrooms, Kale, and Sweet Potatoes
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small sweet potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 10 ounces button mushrooms, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch kale, stems discarded and leaves torn into 2-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan (1 ounce)
- 1. Place the quinoa and 2 cups water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until water is absorbed, 12 to 15 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- 3.Add the sweet potatoes and mushrooms and cook, tossing occasionally, until golden and beginning to soften, 5 to 6 minutes.
- 4.Stir in the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- 5. Add the kale, wine, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cook, tossing often, until the vegetables are tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
- 6. Serve the vegetables over the quinoa and sprinkle with the Parmesan.
- Nutritional Information
- Per Serving (remember it serves 4!)
- Calories 361
- Fat 12g
- Sat Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 5mg
- Sodium 560mg
- Protein 13g
- Carbohydrate 51g
- Fiber 6g